- Anorak / Wind-breaker
- Cap or wide brimmed hat (to keep the sun off) / woolen hat or beanie (winter nights)
- Tracksuit (winter nights)
- Long-sleeved shirt with collar (to keep the sun off)
- Walking shoes or sandals
- Wet and dry shoes (strops or floppies or sandals are the best, then you only need one pair)
- Sleeping bag & pillow
- Ground sheet / inflatable mattress
- Sarong (very useful for keeping the sun off)
- Towel & swim wear – costume.
- Tent (not optional - due to possible wind/insects etc)
- Folding Chairs - optional
- Ropes/Straps (to tie extras to boat)
Camera I binoculars I torch with batteries or headlamp (this works best) I plate I mug I knife I fork I spoon I sunscreen I lip-ice I sunglasses (must have a strap) I personal medication I insect repellent I minimal toiletries – biodegradable soap (please don't harm the desert and river) & toilet paper I 5 garbage bags for waterproofing I zip lock bags for personal items
*Certain times of the year the mosquitoes are very bothersome at camp, so please make necessary provision for this. (Peaceful Sleep spray works best)
There is no drinkable water at the base camp or on the river. Please pack at least 2 litres of bottled water per day. We don't allow any glass on the river so please decant into plastic containers. It is advised that you freeze some of your water, so that it will be defrosted but still cold towards the end of your trip.
Snacks for the river: dried fruit, biltong, dry sausage, peanuts, bars of chocolate, super C's and jelly babies.
Fishing rod, games, cards, frisbee, bats and balls, cricket bat. Refreshing swim or a game of volleyball after your day of travelling.